*TEXT: 2 Chro. 7: 1-6*
1. Now when Solomon had made an end of praying, the fire came down from heaven, and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices; and the glory of the LORD filled the house. 2. And the priests could not enter into the house of the LORD, because the glory of the LORD had filled the LORD’s house. 3. And when all the children of Israel saw how the fire came down, and the glory of the LORD upon the house, they bowed themselves with their faces to the ground upon the pavement, and worshipped, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever. 4. Then the king and all the people offered sacrifices before the LORD. 5. And king Solomon offered a sacrifice of twenty and two thousand oxen, and an hundred and twenty thousand sheep: so the king and all the people dedicated the house of God. 6. And the priests waited on their offices: the Levites also with instruments of music of the LORD, which David the king had made to praise the LORD, because his mercy endureth for ever, when David praised by their ministry; and the priests sounded trumpets before them, and all Israel stood.
Thankfulness is the expression of gratitude or appreciation for what has been done or received. When Solomon finished praying, he received an answer from God in the mode of fire coming down to consume the burnt offering. And in response to this act of God, the entire people began to express their gratitude to God for the answered prayer by doing five things namely:
· Bowing with their faces to the ground;
· Worshiping the Lord;
· Proclaiming the goodness of God;
· Offering 22,000 oxen and 126,000 sheep in sacrifice to the Lord;
· Praising God with musical instruments
How often have we taken God’s answers to our prayers and His benevolence for granted? Bible scholars have estimated what was sacrificed to God at that occasion at $9.55 million or N3,438,000,000 at the rate of N360 to the dollar! I know that many of us will say this is rather extravagant and stupid. Do we even remember to worship and praise Him for what He has done? Part of what Solomon and his people did to express their gratitude was to dedicate the temple and their lives to God. If we truly appreciate God, nothing should be too big or much to offer to Him. What do you offer to God when He promotes you or when you have a good harvest.
Jesus Christ emphasized the need to be thankful with the parable of the 10 lepers that were healed and only one came back to give thanks. A thankful heart is the one that receives more. Be thankful and don’t deny what He has done for you or your family. Appreciate Him for the gift of life and the grace to witness a new month. Give thanks to the Lord.
*HYMN: EMHB 413*
1: WHEN all Thy mercies, O my God,
My rising soul surveys,
Transported with the view, I’m lost
In wonder, love and praise.
2: Unnumbered comforts to my soul
Thy tender care bestowed,
Before my infant heart conceived
From whence those comforts flowed.
3: Through hidden dangers, toils and deaths,
It gently cleared my way;
And through the pleasing snares of vice,
More to be feared than they.
4: Ten thousand thousand precious gifts
My daily thanks employ;
Nor is the least a cheerful heart,
That tastes those gifts with joy.
5: Through every period of my life
Thy goodness I’ll pursue;
And after death, in distant worlds,
The glorious theme renew.
6: Through all eternity, to Thee
A grateful song I’ll raise;
But O eternity’s too short
To utter all Thy praise!
2 Chronicles 7:3 When all the Israelites saw the fire coming down and the glory of the Lord in the temple, they knelt on the pavement with their faces to the ground, worshipped and gave thanks to the Lord, saying, “For He is good and His mercy endures forever.”
*PRAYER:* Lord, for all Your gifts and kindness to me, help me to continually live a life of thanksgiving to you all the days of my life. Amen.
HAPPY NEW MONTH! WELCOME TO THE NEW MONTH! GOD BLESS YOU!
92 total views